Monday, November 9, 2015

Six.

It is hard to believe that my baby is six now.  I started this blog when I was pregnant with her! And even though I have gotten hopelessly behind on blogging in the past year, I love having a record of our life to look back on.  And looking back on the posts about Collette from each month of her entire life is pretty special.

Collette, Age 5: 
December 2014-November 2015
How can I sum up my sweet girl at 6?

She is so compassionate.  She is quick to help her friends and family, gets concerned when any one is upset or hurt, and feels things very deeply.

She is my Little Mommy.  Both to her brothers, especially Elliott, and also to her own dolls. Collette loves to help Elliott get a bath, or get dressed, or play games with him.  He giggles like crazy when she pretends to be a puppy chasing him.  She will also spend hours dressing and caring for and playing with her babies. Her Bitty Baby is her favorite.  Bitty Baby has had many names, since Collette tended rename her every time she "birthed" her (ha!), but she is often referred to as "Ellie" if she isn't just calling her "my baby." She still gets excited about the new babies or pregnancies of friends or family members, and continues to present a compelling case for a baby sister of her own. :)

She was born to go to school.  :)  She loves everything about Kindergarten.  I have never once heard her say that she doesn't want to go to school, or come home saying she had a bad day.  She loves her little friends, her teacher and teach aids, and everything she does at school.  Recently, as she was getting ready for bed, she said, "I hope I don't have a lot of homework tomorrow! I can't stand homework!" Which surprised me, since I had never heard her say that.  I said, "Really?" and she gave me a big grin and said, "Well, actually I don't. I like my homework." Yeah.  That's what I thought. :) She is the kind of kid that has assigned herself fake homework just for fun. (Really.) I pray that she continues to love learning and that school is always such a positive environment for her!

She is enthusiastic about everything she does. Collette lives life big.  She is thrilled to go to church every week, to go to Pioneer Kids, to have a play date with friends, and to try new things.  Since her dance teacher moved and we didn't find another dance program for her this fall, she decided that she wants to try basketball.  Never mind that she has practically never touched a basketball, she is brimming with excitement for her new adventure. She is not hesitant to join in, and she is not a sit-on-the-sideline-and-watch-the-fun kind of kid.  She is all in.

She has learned so much about the Bible and about God this past year.  I love listening to her earnest (and sometimes long!) prayers, and answering (or trying to answer!) her spiritual questions.  She is a deep thinker, and sometimes catches me off guard!

Things she loves: babies, coloring or anything crafty, kitty cats, fashion and accessorizing, any social event, pink and purple and sparkles, and blue box mac and cheese.

One last sleep as a 5 year old! Pink, pink, and more pink. 


We had a fun day celebrating her birthday breakfast with her grandparents. It actually worked out well, because her birthday fell on a Friday, so she didn't have school.  The birthday girl requested waffles, with homemade blueberry syrup.




Most of her presents will be given at her birthday party, but she did get a few on her actual birthday. This matching pajama outfit for her and her American Girl doll was a hit. 


 Of course she had to change immediately and try them out. 

This Poodle purse was another birthday gift. After breakfast, the kids and I, plus Mimi, went shopping at Target, had lunch at Moe's, and visited with Great Grampie at his place-- all requests of the birthday girl.  

That night, we celebrated with a strawberry cake, Collette's favorite. We made strawberry cupcakes for her class the day before, and decided to just make a small birthday cake for our family for the next day, since we'd be doing a bigger, fancier cake for her party. 

Her gift from us this  year was a new bike-- much needed, since the girl has been growing like a weed and totally outgrew the other bike she has had for a few years.  The whole no-training-wheels thing is still a work in progress, but now that we have the patio finished, at least she a flat place to practice. 


Happy 6th birthday, sweet girl! I can't wait to see what adventures 6 hold for us! 

No comments: