Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Best Laid Plans...

Well, I ignored the blog last week because I spent most of my time feverishly grading Lit Reviews for my class and attempting to get everything done before my final class on last Thursday night.  I had big plans to finish my class and then spend Friday and the weekend shopping, cleaning, decorating for Christmas, and doing some more baby prep.
Well. 

I did finish my class on Thursday night, thankfully, and got home about 10:30 at night.  We were tired and turned in pretty early, around 11:00.  And then at 3:30am, I woke up feeling like something wasn't quite right.  I debated if I should wake up LL or not, since I had a doctor's appointment that afternoon anyway, but then he woke up on his own, so I told him what was going on, and he said I needed to call the on-call nurse.  So I reluctantly called the midwife on call, and explained that I was almost 37 weeks and had some fluid loss, but that I had an appointment at 2pm, and they were planning on doing an ultrasound to check fluid levels anyway, and I wasn't sure if I should just wait until my appointment or not.  So I thought I would call. You know.  Just to make sure it was fine to wait until 2pm.  And the midwife said, "Um, you need to come in to the hospital NOW.  How far away are you?  I will meet you there." And I said, "For real?" (Ha!) and she yes "Yes. Come now."

By now it was about 4:00am. LL and I just looked at each other, still not quite believing that we were truly gong to the hospital.  Then, I kicked it into high gear and finished packing my hospital bag, grabbed the laptop (for class), and we called LL's parents to come watch Collette.  They were there by 4:30, and we were on our way to the hospital!

When we arrived, the staff was there waiting for us.  The midwife examined me and declared that my water had in fact broken, and I was going to have my c-section soon.  And by soon, she meant within an hour or two. 

So. 

To recap, we had left our house in complete and utter chaos.  And I do mean chaos.  As in, dishes still in the sink, boxes of Christmas decorations on the dining room table, laundry undone in the laundry room, and did I mention LL's pet project of the last two weeks?

Yeah.  He decided to redo our guest bedroom. You know, before my mom came.  He had just finished pulling down all of the wallpaper, and was going to spackle, prime, and paint it last weekend.

(Collette helped Daddy peel wallpaper).

Oh, and did I mention that in order to get to all of the wallpaper, he had moved almost everything out of the guest room into the nursery?  Because we didn't need the nursery right now anyway, right? :)

But, clearly, Trey did not care about any of this.  :) We called our parents at 5:30am to tell them that we were, in fact, going to have a baby that day, and by 6:50am I was being wheeled into surgery! Apparently lots of surgeries happen around 7am, so all of the main operating rooms in the hospital were in use.  Instead of waiting for one of them to open up, I got to have surgery in the operating room on the Labor and Delivery floor (they usually reserve that one for emergencies). It turned out to be very providential that I Trey decided to come when he did, and that we had planned for a c section, because the little guy had moved since last week and was lying transverse! He required a little encouragement to come out, but not as much as his big sister had! :)

Having the surgery on the L & D floor was so nice, because instead of LL, the nurses and pediatricians taking the baby up to the L & D floor immediately after birth (like they did with Collette), LL and Trey got to stay in the surgery suite while I was getting finished up.  I got to see him get weighed and checked out by the pediatrician (which I also didn't get to see with Collette). 

(What a whopper! 7lbs 9oz, 3 weeks early!)

And when I was done, LL and Trey and the nurse got to come to recovery with me, too! (Instead of me being in there alone, like last time.) I was so thankful that they were able to stay with me during recovery, because I had some complications with my blood pressure and heart rate fluctuating (I did have preeclampsia again, and some complications from the spinal) and I had to be in recovery for about 3 hours, instead of the standard half hour.

(Trey snoozing in recovery; you can see his little pulse ox wire)

Trey was born a day before 37 weeks, making him technically premature, so they wanted to watch his oxygen levels closely.  He was monitored by a pulse oximeter on his toe for the first 12 hours, and he did well enough that he never needed to be taken away from us. :)

His only other minor complication was jaundice.  He got to sunbathe under the blue lights for close to 24 hours, from Sunday morning until Monday when we were discharged.  The little guy did really well, other than removing his goggles about 100 times! He has good problem solving skills already! :)



Now we are home and doing well.  Not going through the entire labor process before having the c-section has helped me heal more quickly, and Trey has been a sweet and laid-back boy so far. :)

(Ready to come home from the hospital!)


Collette said, "I want to hold it in my lap!" She has done great with him (although clearly we need some work on our pronouns. Ha!)

And my mom, who was scheduled to come in on Dec. 17th, got her ticket changed (and even got money back!) and was able to come here the same day we got discharged! What a blessing!!!
We are looking forward to celebrating Christmas with our newest addition!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny story. Is your mom going to finish the guest bedroom for you? (just kidding)

So glad everything went well and that you are all OK. Trey is adorable and, neat name! Enjoy.

Robyn