Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day 2014

The kids and I had fun making Father's Day treats for LL, Bumpa, Pap, and Great Bumpa this year! We generally make things for Father's Day, instead of buying something.  I think it's fun for the kids to be creative, and men are always so hard to buy for, anyway! :)

Last year, we made LL a Bacon Bouquet for Father's Day, it it was a big hit! And since who doesn't love bacon, I decided we should continue the bacon theme this year. I found a recipe to make Bacon Jam and Bacon Salt, and we made some for each of the four men we are thankful for this Father's Day!

The jam (or, as my dad likes to refer to it, "spread,"-- something about the word "jam" makes it seem unappealing to him) has all kinds of yummy ingredients like coffee, maple syrup, and onions.  You can find the recipe HERE.  We've enjoyed eating it on toast, crackers, or sandwiches. And the bacon salt is great for meats, eggs, etc.

We also decided to make LL a back-massage shirt.  LL loves a good back rub, and the kids love giving them to him! I found this shirt template on Pinterest (where else!?!), and the kids can drive their toy cars around it, massaging LL's back in the process.

I used the template I found online, and then used fabric markers to draw the outline. Then I let the kids color it in.  Trey only did the swing set before he got bored with the whole process, but my little colorer Collette took her job very seriously and colored each building carefully. :)  It was the quite the process, but she was very proud of her work when she finished!

They also made cards for everyone.  We found a monster picture to color, and then I traced the kids' hands to create the monster's hands.  Collette and Trey (mostly Collette) colored the monster, and then we attached the hands, along with the saying, "A Monster Hug for Father's Day!"

The kids were so proud and excited to give LL their gifts!




And I fell down on the picture-taking job this year.  I got a picture of the kids and LL as they gave him his gifts, but I didn't even think about taking a picture of everyone all dressed up before we left for church. :(  Our church schedule has changed and we have to be out the door before 8:30am, which is a stretch for us on many Sundays, so we just gave LL his stuff, wished him a happy Father's Day, got dressed, and headed out the door! Oh well.  LL, Collette, and Trey on Father's Day:
(Maybe a I will "cheat" and take a porch swing picture next Sunday and call it good. Ha!)

And of course we need to have a little look back at past Father's Days:

Hard to believe that this Thursday we will have a third child to add to this picture! 

No comments: