Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fall in Farm Land

It's fall! I know this probably comes as no big shock to you, but for the first time in 5 years it actually FEELS like fall... Mississippi, you know I love you, but there is NO such thing as fall in MS... it just stays hot hot hot and then there is a week of cooler weather thrown in. Here in PA, it actually feels like fall. The high temps have been in the 70's, the lows in the 50's, and the air is crisp and fall-like, not muggy. :o) The farm continues to provide lots to do during the early fall--pumpkins are getting ready to be picked and used/frozen, and so are grapes! I have never done much with grapes, but when we moved here there was a grape arbor in our yard, so I ignored it and let LL deal with it, and it lived! (That is my main method for getting things to grown and produce... ignore them, and let LL deal with them... at least for a while until I actually know what i am doing!). Here is a picture of our grape arbor and our grapes!


In case you are wondering, these are grape-juice grapes, not the kind you would buy in the grocery store and just eat for a snack. I have tried them, and I think they are kind of tart, but LL says they are perfect for juice and he should know, right?
I am also proud to say I now have shelves in my basement for all of our canned goods. Until now, my sweet sisters in law and mother in law have been holding on to all of my canned produce, because there was no where to go with hundreds of cans. My sweet hubby, his brothers, and his dad have fixed that! So far I only have my tomatoes down there (roughly 100 cans!) but you can get the idea:


In baby news, I am now 32 weeks. Crazy! I had my appointment yesterday and everything is still going well. I am happy to say that the nursery is now spackled and sanded, and ready to be primed, painted, and have furniture moved in! LL is going to tackle the priming, since I can't do that part, and then we are going to get bedding and paint! Hooray! My goal is to have the nursery done by the end of the month, so I can breathe a little bit easier in the last month. We'll see if it actually happens, but that's my goal. :o)

2 comments:

MB Brown said...

I'm now educated on the grapes too. Those are the exact same kind of grapes we had at our old farm house but I never knew they were for juice...I found them rather tart myself!

Yea!!! 8 more weeks! Where as the time gone! Know that we're praying everything goes well!

Miss you!

kelley said...

Hi Kristen and LLoyd!!
So happy for you and to see your smiling faces on your blog! I cannot wait to see and hear from baby girl Reitz. She is already quite beautiful and I know she will be sweet because of her parents!

I am envious of your basement and all of your beautiful jars of produce! I would just wonder if those grapes would be great for VINO!
We went to San Francisco this past week and Casey had the most delicious grape tarte. It had a super buttery pastry (probably a pate sucre), The filling was just the perfect amount of sweet and tangy. I am sure you and LL can do some "testing" to see how it would work out! The place was called "Waterbar," and their pastry chef is James Beard award nominated!
I have to admit I have not checked in for a while, but I am thinking of you both and praying for an easy delivery!

Much love from the Brownlows!! K