Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gingerbread House

Today Collette and I got to take part in our first Christmas activity of the season! Our MOPS group has an Open Gym on Wednesdays, where the kids can go run off energy and ride/push/play with their favorite wheeled toys.  Today, in addition to open gym, we made gingerbread houses! Collette sported a Christmas-y outfit for the occasion, complete with fur-topped boots.  She is really into penguins right now, and was so excited to wear her outfit! (Side note: a fabulous sale at JC Penny's combined with a coupon made her boots only $2.62! She was so excited when she found them, how could I say no?). Of course, despite her excitement, she is still anti-picture.  I got out the camera and she said "No Mommy! Put it down!" Stinker.  This is the best I could get:

As far as the actual gingerbread house making, we used graham crackers, and the moms assembled the houses first to let them dry while the kids played.  Here is Collette with her house before the decorating process--the face is because she had already snuck a fruit gummy candy! LOL

Collette loved the idea of the candy, but was not at all interested in putting the candy on the house.  Why bother with that step when she could put it directly into her mouth? HA! We ended up compromising and she would pick a type of candy, then I would put it on the house.  Sometimes she would offer input about where to put it, but mainly she would just ask "I eat it? I want candy!" Eventually she returned to playing while I put the finishing touches on the house. :)

We did manage to get an "after" picture with our decorated gingerbread house, albeit without a smile.  Oh well. She's still super cute (and oh my---can I just say 35+ week prego belly is not the best look?)

We are hoping to get a tree this weekend, and maybe I will get around to decorating, too. :)

No comments: