Thursday, January 10, 2013

Bitty Ballet

Yesterday Collette had her first Bitty Ballet class.  LL and I had talked about putting her in a dance class because she loves to twirl, spin, jump, and pretend she is dancing.  And she loves interacting with other kids.  So, a couple weeks ago LL mentioned it to his coworkers and they recommended a place in Danville (where he works.) He called to check it out, she had openings, and before I knew it, I was getting a text message from him saying "Collette starts dance on Wednesday." I was surprised because we hadn't talked about it much lately, but when we asked Collette if she wanted to go, the answer was a very enthusiastic yes. :)  She has come into our room every morning asking if it's time for dance lessons yet!

All ready for class!
(This one was taken with my phone 
but I just love the pose and her expression.)

Very excited!


And of course we couldn't go to ballet without a bun!


When we got to class Collette just jumped right it, running and playing with the other girls there.  She honestly amazes me sometimes.  She was the only new girl, the youngest one (generally the instructor likes them to be 3.5 years old before they start), didn't know a soul, and had never even stepped foot in a dance studio before.  But she just walked out there with all the confidence and enthusiasm in the world. She didn't hang back, hold my hand, cry, or ask to leave. She attempted every move and new activity with a smile on her face. I'm not quite sure where she gets her self-assured nature from, but I'm so glad she was able to go and enjoy herself!

(I didn't want to use my flash during class, so I put my camera on the "sports/action" mode.  
The pictures are a little grainy, but you can get a good idea, anyway.)

They started with stretches:





Then they did a dance to Aladdin's "A Whole New World"
(Collette is on the far right in the first row)

And then they used the ballet bar 
(Collette is the first one)



Practicing her spins:



Working with her teacher, Miss Nancie
(whom the kids call "Dancie Nancie")

Happy girl practicing spins!


When the class ended, Miss Nancie told me Collette did very well for her first class, and she was impressed. :)  Collette is already talking about her next class!

No comments: