Thursday, March 13, 2014

Fastnacht Day (Or, The Reitz Family's National Holiday)

Well, I have posted many, many times about my love for Fastnacht Day (a PA Dutch tradition of making donuts on "Fat Tuesday).  In fact, Fastnacht Day was one of the very first posts on my blog! I wasn't even aware that I was pregnant with Collette yet when I did my first PA doughnut day blog (HERE). :)

The Reitz family is serious about their donut making.  We always joke that Doughnut Day is like a national holiday around the farm; and it's pretty much true.  Our whole attitude is, "Clear your schedule! Drop what you are doing!! It's time to make doughnuts!!!"

This year, since we had 3 bigger kids in school, we did doughnut making in the afternoon. I did get a few pictures, but I've found that the number of pictures I take in direct negative correlation with the number of small children that need to be supervised. :)  This year, with our smallest 3-- Trey, Amelia, and Jon-- all walking and into everything, I didn't get too many pictures.

Collette had a great time helping make doughnuts, although she still feels like playing in the flour is a required part of the process. :)  

Aunt Gwen helping Collette:

Trey helped roll our dough, too!

You can see Amelia in the background, eager to help. :)

Grandma and Autumn making some pudding-filled doughnuts.  We branched out and made some with peanut butter filling this  year-- very tasty!

Dr. Reitz came to assist when he got off of work. 

Some of our finished product! Filled doughnuts with sprinkles, mocha doughnut holes, traditional potato doughnuts, and long Jonn's. Yummo!

Showing off her chocolate face :)
  
Happy boy!

 Aaaand..this is the only picture I got with all of the kids.  Ha! They decided to take a break from doughnut making and watch a cartoon. 
 
I have no idea how many dozens of doughnuts we made. We were eating as we made them, and everyone took home a good-sized container of doughnuts, so I'm guessing 8-9 dozen or more?  In any event, they never last long. :)  We ended up bringing the majority of our doughnuts to LL's work; they are best when they are still fresh and I don't need that kind of temptation around the house!

No comments: