Elliott actually had five different arrival dates. First was my actual due date-- July 11th. Then the original c section date was July 7th, but my doctor, who delivered both Collette and Trey, was on vacation that week, so LL asked if she could move it up to do the surgery, and it got changed to July 3rd. Then, after I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia around 33 weeks (I had it with both other kids, too), they started talking about moving it up again, and decided to do it the day I became 37 weeks pregnant-- June 20th. But again, my doctor wasn't available, so LL worked his magic again, and asked if she could do it before she left. So, she found O.R. time from another doctor and told me she could do 3:30pm on June 19th. So that's what we went with! Elliott was born at the exact same gestational age as Trey-- 36 weeks, 6 days. Making him a "preemie," according to hospital policy.
Ready to leave for the hospital! Collette and Trey had been on a countdown until "baby day;" they were so excited! LL tried to get a picture of them with me before we left, but they were so excited they really couldn't stand still. This is the best we got. Ha!
While both Collette and Trey were c-sections, they were both emergency c-sections, so having one scheduled was a whole new experience for us. Everything was so much more laid back! Doctors and nurses introduced themselves, explained details about the procedures, chatted with us, and took their time. Since I wasn't in labor or in any pain, LL and I sat around and chatted, texted friends, and just hung out. In fact, due to some other emergencies our doctor was handling, our c section didn't even start until an hour after it was scheduled.
Other than some problems getting my spinal started (apparently I don't have adequate spacing between my vertebrae in my back? Who knew?), the surgery went off without a hitch. I love the fact that LL is accustomed to surgery (even if it's not in human medicine), so he's very calm and supportive, but also very attentive to what's happening with the procedure. It gives me one less thing to worry about. :)
And before too long, at 4:53pm, Elliott Karl had arrived! He came out crying, and spent a good 15-20 minutes after birth just wailing away! I guess he wasn't happy about being yanked from his warm and cozy home. :)
And he was another big boy! He weighed in at 7lbs, 10.5 oz. A good sized full term baby, let alone for one that was just over 3 weeks early! (Trey was born at the exact same gestational age, and was 7lbs, 9oz. Big boys!!)
LL and Elliott got to stay in the surgery suite while I was getting stitched up, so even though I couldn't hold him, we did get to visit a little bit. :)
In recovery and finally able to hold my boy for the first time!
Our family came later that night to visit with us. Poor Collette, who had literally never been on antibiotics or really ever been to the doctor for a sick visit in her four and a half years of life, told us right before we left for the hospital that her throat hurt. By that evening, my mom said she had a fever and her throat looked red. We asked the doctor about her still being able to visit, and they said she could come if she wore a mask. She had been waiting soooooooo long to meet her new baby brother-- I would have been heartbroken if she hadn't been able to come! I thought she might mind the mask, but it didn't bother her one bit. She was so excited to be there and hold her new baby brother!
Mimi and Elliott.
Meeting Grandma and big brother Trey
Elliott and Bumpa-- his middle name is my dad's first name, Karl.
After months of waiting, finally holding her baby brother!
Due to some trouble regulating his blood sugar, Elliott had to have his poor tiny foot pricked before and after every feeding. When his blood sugar was consistently low, the pediatrician said he would need to have an IV, due to the possibility of brain damage and seizures with continued low blood sugar. While of course we wanted to do whatever to keep Elliott healthy, the thought of an IV in our two day old baby was heartbreaking! Thankfully, the nurses suggested we try supplementing him with formula before we started an IV. He took his bottle like a champ, and no IV was needed!
Daddy giving Elliott one of his first bottles.
After Collette had been on her meds for 24 hours, the came back to visit, and was able to hold her baby brother mask-free for the first time. I think she may have been a little bit excited. :)
Those cheeks. Don't ya just want to kiss them? I do. Often. :)
Our family of five. So blessed.
Ready to head home! This is the little outfit he wore for his hospital picture, too. They don't give out prints of hospital pictures at our hospital anymore, they just put them on the website.
Heading home!
And here we are. Almost a month later. Still trying to get in a groove of the 3-kid thing. Some days I think, "This isn't too bad. I think we are getting the hang of this." And other days I think, "Have mercy! What did we just do?!?" Ha! But not a day goes by that I don't thank God for these 3 blessings, and my amazing husband who has helped with so many different things. We are so happy to be a family of five!


















No comments:
Post a Comment