Yesterday LL and I had what will probably be our last crawfish boil for quite some time. I remember the first spring we were in MS and people started talking about crawfish boils. Not only did I not have any idea what a crawfish was, I thought they were saying "crawfish bowl," and I kept picturing a bowl of fish!(I was not so accustomed to the southern accent yet) LOL. When we went to our first one, I was shocked when I was handed an aluminum cake pan full of CREATURES staring back at me with beady eyes. I couldn't even touch them. I kept looking at them thinking, "there is no WAY I am going go eat these!" Our friends kindly peeled them for us at first, and showed us how good they are, and I was finally brave enough to try my own. I never did eat them all, but I did get into peeling them and eating a few. I can't believe that was 4 years ago! The next year, Lloyd was president of the student body, and had to go early and help prep for the event. I went along to help, and we have been helping with every crawfish boil ever since. The event is sponsored by Hills, and retired veterinarian Dr. Thibodeaux from LA (Louisiana, not L.A.)comes up and cooks for us: Crawfish etouffee with rice; boiled crawfish; fried catfish; potatoes, corn on the cob, and sausage; potato salad; and FABULOUS bread pudding, usually with his special sauce. LL and I have become old hands and dicing veggies and chopping sausage, breading and seasoning catfish, stirring pots, and this year even branched out into making the bread pudding. Boy am I glad to have that recipe now! Yumm-o! Anyway, the weather was perfect, the event was great, and we had a wonderful time catching up with vet school faculty and students for one last time. Here are some pics of the day:
Lloyd making the bread pudding:

Stirring the corn, sausage, and potatoes:

Live crawfish in captivity:

Into the boiler they go:

In the pot:

All done!

Adding even more hot sauce and Tony's seasoning:

The Dissection:

Yumm-O!
No comments:
Post a Comment