Monday, April 27, 2009

Happy Confederate Memorial Day!

I am from New York. The first time someone told me about Confederate Memorial Day, I thought they were trying to pull one over on the Yankee. However, it is in fact a real state holiday here in Mississippi, and it is today! State government is closed today, so my friend Scott and probably several other people I know have a vacation day today. According to Wikipedia (which is questionable on its reliability on some things, I know...) Confederate Memorial Day is celebrated the last Monday in April, in remembrance of "the surrender of Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston to Union General William Sherman on April 26, 1865". There. Don't you feel more educated now? :o) So have a happy day and awe someone with your new found knowledge of Confederate Memorial Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Confederate Memorial Day! Many a gobbler have met their demise at the hands of state wildlife biologists observing this blessed holiday. Unfortunately, I am not one of those. Tis always next year, though! - SLE

MB Brown said...

thanks for the education! This is the first time in a long time I have checked out your blog...wow...you have been really good at keeping it updated! I will have to check it more often!

Ps...love the pics of the kitchen remodel...can't wait to see it in person! Someday...