Monday, June 8, 2009

Farmer Kristen?!?

It's true that I live almost on a dairy farm, and it is true that there are cows owned by my family living in the barn right across the street from me, but since I don't actually personally own or care for these animals, I don't really feel like I live on a FARM. Well, all that has changed now. My dear hubby decided we needed chickens, and ordered them online. Yes, for all of you who are still uninformed, you can indeed order chickens online, and they will deliver them to your house via your postal worker just like any other package you may order. So last week, I got a phone call asking if I would be home when the mail ran because our chickens were arriving. I was, so our mail carrier just knocked on the door and handed me a large, chirping box. With 100 rare-breed chicks inside. Yes, 100. Lloyd and I now have 100 chicks! They have their own pen right across the road, right next to the cow barn. And if that weren't enough, the chickens got him thinking that we should also have turkeys for this Thanksgiving and Christmas, so one of his dad's employees drove to Lancaster Co. to pick up 16 baby turkeys for us. They now reside in the pen right next to the chicks. I am still a little anxious about being a farmer, but for now the baby chicks are easy to care for and actually pretty cute. There are all different kinds of them, so it will be interesting to see what they look like as they grow up. Here are a few pics of us with our new 100 (sorry no pics of the baby turkeys yet... maybe I can get some tonight).




No comments: