Well, as most of you may know by now, our precious little girl has arrived! Here are the vital statistics: Born at 11:03pm on 11/06/09, weighing 7lbs 14oz, 19 3/4 inches long. Her name is Collette Jean. Collette is just a name we both really liked; there is no particular significance (although it means "victorious") or namesake. Her middle name, Jean, is a family name on my side-- my grandmother, mother, and I all have the middle name Jean. We were a little surprised at her arrival, both by the day and the way she was born! On my due date, Nov. 5th, I was checked by a midwife who told me that I was not even beginning to diliate, and she made me an appointment for next week, promising that they wouldn't let me go past 42 weeks. Lloyd and I came home a little disappointed, thinking that we wouldn't get to meet our baby for another week or two! That night, about 2am, I started having contractions, and by the next morning they were fairly close together. We kept looking at each other saying "surely they will stop soon" because after all, 12 hours ago I was not even beginning labor. But they didn't stop, and were continuing to get closer together and longer, so we called the Dr. office and were told to come in anytime after 1pm to be rechecked. By the time we got to the Dr. contractions were only about a minute apart and lasting at least a minute and a half, and I was six centimeters dilated, so I was admitted right then. Luckily, our Dr. office is part of the hospital, so I was wheeled right over to labor and delivery. That is where things started to get complicated; I will spare you all of the details but it turns out I developed preeclampsia literally overnight, so I was very closely monitored and got lots of extra medications. Not too long after that, they determined that I would not be able to deliver because her head was stuck, so they decided to proceed with a c-section. However, the c-section was performed 3-4 hours later than they wanted because of an emergency surgery, so there were some complications in the c-section, too, including a LOT of trouble getting our little baby to come OUT! With some extra doctors, extra manipulation, and extra cutting, we were finally successful and she is here! Everyone was surprised by how healthy she was when she did finally arrive, they had lots of extra help on hand because they expected her to be stunned and not doing very well, but she was squealing before she was even all the way delivered, and has done beautifully since!
We came home yesterday and are reuperating well. My recovery is slower because of the c-section and additional muscle that had to be cut, but I am getting better every day and LL has been on paternity leave and a HUGE help; I could not be home without him! My mom is coming out next week, and she will be able to stay for a couple of weeks to help out too. And now for what you call really want- the pictures!! Here she is:
Her very first picture in the operating room with mommy:

And after she left the operating room:

OH THE HAIR!! We have heard that comment more than anything else from the doctors, nurses, other patients, and family. She definately has a headful, and we have to keep her fashionable by wearing a different barette every day:

Here she is with her Gram Reitz showing off that beautiful head of hair:


And Mississippi, you will be relieved to know that Aunt Gwen (LL's sister) monogrammed a blanket for Collette right away, so she didn't have to go more than 24 hours of life without having something monogrammed! lol:

And she didn't have to go long without hearing her first southern drawl, either. Our wonderful friend John happened to be up in PA visiting and hunting, and timed his visit just perfectly to be able to meet our little pumpkin!


We were discharged from the hosptial Tuesday, and Collette wore one of my dresses home from the hospital, complete with smocking and a pink hair barette:

Her first car ride (poor little thing, we didn't know she got all slumped over like that!)

And relaxing at home:

We have LOTS more pictures, include pictures of her with all of her visitors in the hospital and at home, but we will save those for another post. :o) For now, we are all busy adjusting to life at home, and are so happy to have our little girl!
2 comments:
Collette is beautiful!!! I cannot wait to meet her! I'm so glad you are recovering as well as possible! ~kathryn
Congratulations! I hope your recovery is as expeditious as possible. Cesar found a job, and is Arizona bound! I am so happy y'all are doing well.
Post a Comment