Monday, March 18, 2013

Collette at 3 {and a Quarter}

Collette makes me laugh every single day.  She is at such a fun age, and every time I turn around she seems like she is even more grown up. I want to document what she's like at each stage because she changes so fast! So here are a few things I want to remember about Collette at age 3 and 1/4. :)

~ She loves to pick out her own outfits. Sometimes she does a great job with matching, other times,   not so much. (For example, one day she had a lime-green Hello Kitty shirt, bright pink pants with a kitty print on them, and a purple shawl with Hello Kitty on it.  She "matched" because every article of clothing had a kitty on it!)  She has started laying out her outfits the night before, and usually gets dressed first thing in the morning-- before she even comes over and tells us that she's awake.  Her new thing is picking out clothes for us.  Since she helps me put away laundry, she knows which drawer all of our clothes are in-- so she will pick out scrubs for Daddy in the morning and work out clothes for me.  Then pester us until we get up, saying, "Mr. Sun is up, Mommy! Get up!" She also changes clothes multiple times a day. Items in heavy rotation are her purple striped cardigan, a bright pink Under Armour shirt, and pink leggings.

(One of the outfits she picked out herself)

~ She love, love, LOVED our weekend at Camp of the Woods, which she calls "Our Winter Vacation." Every day she tells us that she wants to go on winter vacation again, and there have been many, many days that I have found her with her Tinker Bell backpack stuffed with clothes, ready to go! One night I even found her sobbing in her bed-- very unusual for her.  When I asked her what was wrong, she choked out between sobs, "I want to go on a Winter Vacation again!!" Poor sweet girl.  I promised her that even though we couldn't go on winter vacation again, we would do other fun things soon. 

~ She is so funny.  Sometimes she sounds just like a little adult.  When I had a cold last week, she told me sagely, "You need to get plenty of rest and eat healthy foods. And wash your hands with soap and water." The other day at dinner we were talking about something related to bedtimes, and she said, "Yeah, I'm a bit of a sleepyhead." LL and I were cracking up. Every day when LL gets home from work she asks him in a very conversational tone, "So, how was work?" and the inquires about the animal patients he saw that day, and their first and last names. When she got a bracelet at dance class with a silver charm on it, she said "Oh, Mommy! Look at my beautiful amulet on my bracelet!" When I say "Oh, Collette, are you going to do ____ (a puzzle/paint a picture/built with blocks, etc.)?" She will reply, "Yup, that's my goal!"

~ She is very into princesses. She pretends to be a princess almost daily, and loves her pink princess costume.  When she is in her princess dress, she calls me "Princess Mommy" and requests that I call her "Princess Collette." Trey gets to be "Prince Trey" and if LL is around he gets to be "King." :) She always asks LL to dance with her and tries to get Trey to dance, but he's not always quite as willing a participant.  Sometimes she pretends to be Cinderella, and then I get to be the Fairy Godmother, and sometimes she pretends to be Rapunzel. Luckily, I am not assigned the roll of Mother Gothel, but Trey does get to be "Baby Flynn." She loves her Barbie-sized princess dolls, and spends a lot of time playing with them and swapping their dresses.  

~ She is starting to get into identifying and tracing letters.  I really haven't worked much with her on letter identification (other than reading alphabet books, etc., and making little work sheets for her when she asks to trace her name), but the LeapPad we got her for her birthday has letter tracing and word spelling games on it, and she loves them.  She loves the Tangled game (which I found for $6 at Salvation Army), but I almost didn't give her because it says it's for ages 4-7 and I didn't want her to get frustrated. She loves it, and is spelling 3 and 4 letter words in her game. Not that I think that she is ready to start spelling on her own, but it's obviously having an impression on her because when I said to LL the other day (spelling so that she couldn't understand) "Someone is T-I-R-E-D," she quickly replied "I'm not tired, Mommy!" 

~ She is a funny mix of girly-girl and tom-boy.  She still loves snakes and will often pretend she is carrying baby snakes in her hand.  She also loves her stuffed snake, Super Snake, and Super Snake often ends up in our bed in the morning.  One morning I went to remove Super Snake from the bed and she told me very seriously, "You NEVER touch Super Snake while he's sleeping."  She loves to play outside, and feeding our calves and the pigs is her favorite part of our day.  She doesn't shy away from dirt, mud, or blood and loves to watch Daddy work on animals.  Then she will come inside and refuse to wear an outfit because she "can't spin in it!" (Meaning, when she twirls, the skirt doesn't billow out around her.)

~ She is still a great shopper and is quick to point out a "sale." She loves to suggest items not only for herself but for each member of our family, and extended family as well. She also does a great job of keeping Trey occupied while we shop. :)


~She is still a big girl.  She skipped 3T clothes almost entirely, and quite a few 4Ts are small on her length-wise, particularly shirts. I started buying 5Ts for this summer and, for the most part, I am no longer shopping for her in the Baby/Toddler girl section. :(  People still often think she is older than she is.
In her "nest" reading books:

I can't imagine my life without this little ray of sunshine. :)
 

No comments: