Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween 2013: Beauty and the Beast!

Collette has been very into princesses all year, and really wanted to be a princess for Halloween.  Since she already has princess dress up stuff, I encouraged her to think about other options, too, but she was bound and determined to be a princess.  She picked Belle, even though she has never seen all of Beauty and the Beast (she is pretty sensitive to movies being "scary," so I didn't think that would be a great choice for her yet.) But we have watched all of the songs and a few select scenes (thank you, YouTube!) and she decided Belle was The Princess To Be this year.  Beauty and the Beast is actually my favorite Disney movie, so I was excited!

I found Collette's dress on eBay for $9, found her glittery gold shoes at Payless (which she will wear all winter, not just for Halloween), and white gloves at the Dollar Store.

Trey is still little enough to not have much of an opinion about his Halloween costume, so I decided he could be the Beast.  However, there are no Beast toddler-sized costumes, unless you want to pay megabucks online and have one custom made, so Trey got a thrift-store/homemade version.  I found a military-looking jacket and black dress pants at our thrift store (half off on Wednesdays, so I paid maybe $2.00 total), and then I got some gold braid, white ruffle, and a $5 lion costume kit at Wal-Mart.   I was just going to hot-glue the braid and ruffle onto the jacket, and pants, but my awesome Mom offered to sew it for me, and even shortened the jacket for me! It turned out sooooo cute.

Viola! Beauty and the Beast!

We had a family costume party to go to, so LL and I were deciding what we should be, and both independently decided we should be Cogsworth and Lumiere. :)  These were VERY D.I.Y. costumes, but for about $5 total we were able to make our costumes!


For Lumiere, I bought stiffened yellow felt to make the flame, and hot-glued orange felt onto it.  I found a bucket and hat at the dollar store and made his candle hat with the flame.  I made felt flame mittens and white plastic bowls for his hand flames, and he wore light colored clothes.

For Cogsworth, I wrapped a box in craft paper from the Dollar Store, used gold wrapping paper to make the pendulum, and made a felt hat like the top of Cogsworth's head. And of course, I had to have a clock face drawn on with eyeliner. :)

 
 
Our first attempt at a family themed Halloween. :)
 
Not too bad for having to make 3 of the 4 costumes!

The day before Halloween, we did Trunk or Treat at my sister-in-law's church.  Collette decided that she wanted her hair curled "just like Belle's," so I attempted to give her a Bell hairdo, with a little help from a YouTube tutorial.  Not so easy on a 3 year old who doesn't want to stand still long, but I think it turned out pretty cute. :)

 
She loved her Dollar Store gloves, too, although they were a little big for her.

Trey was not interested in standing still for pictures. Imagine that! :)
 
My sweet Beauty and the Beast!
 

1 comment:

Jessica @ The Mom Creative said...

You did an AMAZING job, especially with the beast costume.