Yesterday I was able to upload the pictures from my MIL's camera, so I can now post about doughnut day, otherwise known as Faustnacht Day (there is some debate about the spelling, I've seen it spelled multiple ways). Anyway, if you are not from central PA with PA Dutch relatives, Faustnacht Day is Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras. Apparently, in this area of PA, they prepared for lent by using up all of the sugar, lard, etc. by making doughnuts (Faustnachts). Last year was my first experience with making doughnuts for Faustnacht Day, and we had such a good time that I wanted to make sure we didn't miss it this year! Taryn and the kids and Gwennie and Autumn were able to come, Niki and her 3 stayed home because they had been battling a stomach virus of some sort. So we didn't have 7 kids, but we did have 4, which still made for interesting times making doughnuts. We made several kinds-- chocolate doughnut holes, potato doughnuts and holes with chocolate icing and sprinkles, cream-filled Long Johns, and for some Southern flair we made Cafe Du Monde Beignets from a mix we bought when we were still in MS. We had a great time. The little girls in particular enjoyed helping make the doughnuts. Here are some pictures of doughnut day with Tabby and Autumn getting in the action:





Collette wasn't too involved in the doughnut-making process, but she did enjoy hanging out with us and her cousins:


And, I got the best/worst shot of her ever. This picture is not for the faint-hearted. It was a total accident. She was all happy and smiley, and I went to take a picture, and this is what I got:

Hysterical! This is more like what I was going for:

Anyway, after a morning and afternoon of making doughnuts, Collette and I came home and got ready for fattening day part two. LL had invited some of his coworker friends over to try out our new Hershey Truffle recipe. We had a great time making and eating the truffles, although I think we need a little more practice in the presentation department. :o)



We had lots of beads left over from when we were in New Orleans, so we all wore those while we made the truffles. Bingo and Byron even enjoyed wearing the beads!


So, to recap, we ate doughnuts all morning and afternoon, and truffles all night. :o) It was not a low-fat day by any means, but we had a great time making and eating all of the food.
No comments:
Post a Comment