Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Collette at 4 {And a Quarter}

It just occurred to me that I should probably do a post of what's new with Collette these days, too. :) (I know, I'm SuperMom. Ha!) I love looking back on the blog and remembering what the kids were like at different ages; really, my blog is just a digital scrapbook. I just went back and looked at Collette at 2 {and a Quarter} and 3 {and a Quarter}.  Where does the time go?  What happened to my baby? *sob*  Anyway, here's what's new with Collette at 4 {and a Quarter}.

~ So many times she seems like a mini-adult to me now.  She is a little sponge when it comes to vocabulary, and almost always uses new words correctly, so she sounds very adult-like to me sometimes.  She told my mom recently, "Mimi, I could use some assistance with this." She frequently asks me, "Do you remember when we had a discussion about this?" or say things like, "This seems familiar to me," or "these things are somewhat similar,"  or "I think that has been there for several  years," or other phrases that just somehow sound funny coming out of a 4-year-old's mouth. She asks "what are the options, again?" when we need to choose between things.  Of course it's impossible for me to remember all of the funny phrases or things she has said when I sit down to do it, but suffice to say the girl has a knack for vocabulary. :)

~ She is relishing her role as Big Sister and can't wait for a repeat performance when Baby Brother comes along.  She mothers Trey often, and will talk to him like she is 5-10 years older than him, instead of just two. The other day when we were going to the farm, the told him (nicely but kind of patronizingly), "Now, Trey, when we get down to Grandma's house, you just remind me to tell her all about your boo-boo on your chin.  Ok?  You just remind Sissy when Grandma and I get chatting. Because that's what big sisters do! Ok?" Ha!

~ She loves coloring and writing her name and letters now.  She colors every day, and likes to practice writing other family members' names as well as her own. She is just starting to want to spell words on her own, and has started asking frequently how to spell short words.

~ Her Bitty Baby doll is her constant companion.  She goes everywhere with her, and there is usually a discussion between Collette and Mommy about exactly how many of baby's accessories and outfits can come along with us.  Baby's name changes with some regularity.  When she first got her, she named her Sienna.  Then she changed it to Isabella.  Then she went through a string of names that were kind of obscure and made up.  These days she usually tells people Baby's name is Isabella Sienna when they ask, but almost always just refers to her as "my baby" or "my miracle baby" at home. I'm not quite sure where the "miracle" part came from! Ha!


~ For months and months she has loved the idea of having a new baby-- as in, Collette, herself, being pregnant. It is not unusual for her to walk around like this (even before I was showing!). And sometimes Trey gets in on the action, too. :)


~ She continues to love clothes, and skirts and dresses in particular.  She did ask me to buy her a pair of "just regular jeans" so she can wear them to the farm etc., but she picks skirts or dresses and tights or leggings every day.  And the more colorful, the better! We are all about mixing as many colors, patterns, textures, and seasonally diverse clothing as possible. :)  Some days I put my foot down about a particular outfit; many days we just roll with it. I am embracing Tiffany's new slogan, #theheartwantswhattheheartwants. And really, this Mama just doesn't have time for WWIII over mixing stripes and plaids.

~ She has been loving attending Awana program through our church, and going to dance class.  She has been asking for months (maybe even a year?) when it will be her turn to go to Kindergarten. Since she has a fall birthday, she won't be old enough to go to Kindergarten next year, but we did enroll her in a 3-morning a week preschool program.  She is beyond excited about it.


~ She is a total night owl and often has a hard time falling asleep at night.  She often wakes up somewhere around 3-4 am and will come into my room to chat.  Sometimes she wants to talk about a bad dream (usually related to an animal-- crocodiles, sharks, bees... other "scary" animals that may chase/bite) or with a deep, philosophical question, like, "Why do people get sick and die?" "Why did Jesus die on the cross?" "Why can't doctors fix everyone and make them all better?"  Have mercy.  Those are hard questions for adults to grapple with, let alone try to explain them to a four year old in the middle of the night! She will still nap occasionally, but for the most part just has "quiet time" in her room.

~ She is still growing like crazy. She is a tall and solid girl, and is outgrowing many of the size 5 clothes she has. It seems insane to buy my 4 year old size 6 clothes, but that's what I'm doing for the summer!

~ She and Trey have the best time together.  I love seeing them giggle and play together, and although they do their fair share of bickering and "I had that first!," they are very close.

~ She has just started getting excited about folding her clothes and putting them away.  I'm sure hoping this is a trend that continues, because Mama sure could use a helper!

~ Although she can be very strong willed, she continues to have a sweet spirit and be very happy most of the time.  She is genuinely repentant when she does something wrong.  Today at lunch she prayed, "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for Mommy and Daddy.  Thank you for the daffodils and please help them to grow more flowers. Help Baby Brother to get big and strong and come out. And I'm sorry I didn't listen when I was supposed to clean my room. Amen." How can you not love this girl? :)  We are so blessed to have her in our lives.


No comments: