Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Happy Birthday, LL!

This year, LL's birthday fell right in the middle of all of our Easter festivities.  We actually ended up celebrating twice, once with our extended families, and with just the four (five? "Baby Brother" was there too, of course...) of us on his birthday.

On Sunday, the day before his birthday, LL's mom made a fabulous cheesecake topped with chocolate covered fresh strawberries. It's safe to say that there were no leftovers. :) The kids love blowing out candles and were excited to help Daddy.  


On his birthday on Monday, he had to work during the day and I had to work during the evening, so we did a breakfast celebration, which has kind of become a tradition for us.

Coffee and a peanut butter chocolate muffin to start the day off right! (LL picked these out the day before when we were at Perkins... my muffins don't turn out that pretty.  And really, I think "muffin" is a bit of a misnomer... let's be honest, that's pretty much a cupcake.)

Of course it takes 3 people to blow out one candle! :)

The kids helped Daddy open his presents.  They got him an air-popper popcorn maker, along with popcorn and seasonings.  LL loves  popcorn  and likes to experiment with different flavors, but we never had an air-popper, so we had to use microwave popcorn.  This is so much better! And I am so proud of Collette-- both kids were with me when we picked it out, although Trey wasn't paying too much attention.  I told Collette it was a surprise for Daddy's birthday, so we shouldn't tell him what we got.  And she didn't say anything! We got it more than a week in advance, so I knew there was a good chance she would tell him, but she did great! What a big kid. :)

That afternoon, Collette and I made candied bacon chocolate cupcakes for LL.  The most recent issue of Food Network Magazine (which we love) was an "All About Bacon" issue, and this recipe was in it! I knew as soon as I saw it that LL would love this one for his birthday. :)

LL and the kids had the cupcakes after dinner, while I was at work, and proclaimed them delicious.  Happy birthday, LL! I can't wait to see what this year has in store for us!

No comments: