
Is that....water damage? So we stopped showering upstairs (boy I'm glad we put in that downstairs shower!). But then later we saw this:

Yup, more water damage. So we had to quit using the sink upstairs, too, until we could get it fixed. Turns out the only way to fix the leak was to tear out our bathroom floor and tub to get to the pipes. We considered just gutting the entire bathroom and redoing it, since we had to be tearing it up anyway, but we were planning on doing that in the fall, and haven't really budgeted to redo an entire bathroom at this point. So....we decided to fix the pipes so we could at least use the sink and have a functional half bath upstairs for now. Which means the 1970s Spectacular bathroom that I thought couldn't get any uglier.....is now uglier. Here is what our bathroom looks like currently:

Not entirely sure how I'm going to make it look any better, but somehow I will because the idea of looking at plywood floor and exposed pipe for another 8 months isn't very appealing, particularly when we have quite a bit of company coming in the next few months.
Well, we got all done withe tub and fixed the pipes, so LL and his dad decided to try to figure out why the downstairs toilet bubbles every time the upstairs toilet is flushed. They figured there was some valve they needed to replace? (Question mark because I honestly wasn't paying that much attention to the plumbing issues and said "okay, honey" a lot). Well, it turns out the reason the toilet was bubbling was because the sewer line was blocked (sorry folks no pictures of that one! lol). So LL, his dad, and brothers spent quite a while trying to unblock that, and finally had success. Since he was already outside in the yard, LL decided he would trim our grapevines while he was out there. I was inside feeding Collette in the living room when he came in and said "You need to move to the other side of the house. NOW." He was looking pretty worked-up, which is rare for him. I asked him why it was essential that I move RIGHT NOW, and he said "there's a pine tree in our yard that I think is going to fall over into the house." Um, what? So he called his family (who had just left) and Big Papa and his brothers came over with the Big Tractor to look at the tree. Turns out the only thing holding up the huge pine tree was the high tensile fence line (the kind the electrify and use for cow fencing) Big Papa had strung between that tree and another pine tree in the yard for a dog-run. The wire was digging into the falling tree and holding it upright. They were able to pull it over--the OTHER direction.
This is NOT a little tree, folks!


We are assuming the strong winds we have had recently finally uprooted it.


The house-saving wire:

How providential that LL was outside to see that tree! We are so thankful that God protected us and our house. If it hadn't been for the sewer line problem LL wouldn't have been in the yard, and if they hadn't been redoing the plumbing yesterday he wouldn't have been off on a Monday to see it. If that tree had fallen straight down, it would have fallen directly into our newly redone bathroom (currently our only full bath) and, more seriously, Collette's nursery, which is directly above it. If it had fallen at an angle, it would have hit our living room and our bedroom. I am so thankful that I have an observant husband and willing family with the right equipment to take care of it!
1 comment:
Post a Comment