
But this post is all about ME! :o) Some of you may already know this, but for those of you who don't, there are two new things that I am up to these days.
1). I am rejoining the ranks of the employed! Starting in the fall, I will be an adjunct professor for Messiah College. This is where LL and I did our undergrad work (and where we met--awwwwwwwwww) and it is really a GREAT institution! It is a small, Christian, liberal arts college and we just both adored our time there. When I was working on my Master's, I thought quite a bit about teaching at some point, but wasn't sure I would get the opportunity. After we moved back to PA, I got an email from the Chair of the Human Development and Family Science (HDFS) Department, asking if I would be interesting in being an adjunct. At that point, they were looking for people for the spring of '10 semester, which started in January. Since I had just had Collette in November, I wasn't ready to commit to that, but did tell them I would be interested in teaching in the Fall of '10 and subsequent semesters. A few months ago, I met with the Dean of the College and the Department Chair, and picked a class I wanted to teach. So, starting in the fall, I will be teaching Family Resource Management! It is a class for upper class students, primarily HDFS and Psychology majors. Messiah was very accommodating for me; since I live over an hour away, they let me pick the day(s) and time of my class. I will be teaching a night class on Thursdays, so LL will be home to watch Collette, and I only have to drive once a week. I have been busy the past several weeks reading through the text book, working on powerpoints and the syllabus, and finding activities. I am as nervous as anything but VERY excited and so thankful for the opportunity! And the professor who had been teaching the class gave me access to ALL of her resources--powerpoints, exams, etc. so I don't have to start from scratch! Talk about a blessing!!
2) I have started a new hobby/activity! When we had our Girls Night my friend Danielle talk about how she had been training to run a 5K. Danielle and I (and most of our friends) have long held the position that the only good reason to run is if someone is chasing you with a weapon, so I was intrigued. She said she had been looking for a way to get more active and found this great program, Couch to 5K. This program gives week-by-week workouts to go from sitting on your couch to running a 5K in 9 weeks. Danielle ran her first 5K a few weeks ago and did great! We are all so proud of her! Anyway, she has convinced 2 friends and I to run a 5K with her in September. Am I nervous? Yep. I have zero athletic ability and, as I mentioned before, I NEVER EVER EVER run. But, last weekend I found a reasonably priced treadmill on craigslist, purchased it, and started the program. I just did Week 2, Day 1 this morning. So far, so good! If any of you have any interest in getting into running, this program is great. It only takes a commitment of 30 minutes 3 days a week, which is so reasonable! I will keep you posted on my progress, but I am enjoying it so far, and trying to alter my self-concept to include the word "runner." Well, that may actually be a little premature, but I'm working on it!
Ok, so those were two long updates! Hope you are still awake! I need to go now so I can read to sweet Collette-- she is loving her books these days!
1 comment:
I have also begun running! I only do three days of running a week and two days of walking. I love it and I love how happy I am after I run...gotta love those endorphins!
Post a Comment