Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sweet, Silly Girl

Collette is just at such a fun stage right now! (Although all of you may not be super interested in the specifics of what she is up to, it is so helpful for me to write it down here so that I have a record of it-- and I think perhaps a few grandparents may enjoy it, too.) She is learning and saying new things every day, and she is expressing her opinions so much more. 

Take breakfast, for example.   Until recently, I'd put her in her high chair and give her things I know she likes for breakfast- I'd usually ask if she wanted a banana, or yogurt, or a bagel, etc.  And she'd say "yes." Now, first of all, she doesn't really want to sit in the high chair any more. She wants to sit at the island, like Daddy.  (The island just has stools, with no backs, so I haven't let her eat there too often for fear that she would topple off backwards. Getting nicer, padded stools with backs is on my to-do list).

Saturday morning pancakes with Daddy ;)

And she is so much more specific about what she wants to eat! Yesterday I said "Collette, do you want breakfast?" and she said, "I want cereal." So I said "okay, do you want this one?" (holding the box)? "No." "This one?" "No." "This one?" "Yes. I want this cereal. Cereal with milk. And plate" (she says plate for plates and bowls). "And spoon." Well, ok then! :)

And have I mentioned lately her love of "dip?" This girl looooves her some "dip!" To her, "dip" is really anything she can dunk her food in-- katchup, syrup, BBQ sauce, salsa, gravy, etc. Even if it's a spicer thing I'm not sure she will like, if she sees us eating "dip," she wants it, too. And she has an eagle eye for katchup! We went to Hoss's Steakhouse when my parents were here, and in the middle of the table was a lazy susan with conidments, utensils, and the like.  When someone turned it to find a napkin, Collette started saying "I want dip! I want dip!" She was eating fruit, so I really had no idea what she was talking about, but then I saw the katchup bottle, now facing her.  So we had to have "dip" with our fruit.  Tasty.

Kiwi and katchup.  Don't tell me it won't catch on!

Collette is also developing quite the fashion sense. :) Here are two of her more recent looks:

Lovely colander hat she found while helping me put away dishes (another time we are using our new vocabulary-- "Here, Mommy- fork! Here, Mommy- plate!" for each dish she hands me).

And I have already mentioned our love for the new Minnie Mouse bathing suit.  She found it hanging to dry in the bathroom, and desperately wanted to wear it, despite the fact that it was almost bedtime. She had more than a little trouble getting it on by herself (really, who doesn't have trouble putting on a one-piece suit-- at any age?) and finally settled on this look:

Charming. 

(And yes, I realize that my 21 month old daughter is still missing a significant number of teeth. She hasn't gotten a tooth in like 6 months! Maybe they will all come in soon?  Like before her 2nd birthday?)

In a more coordinated look, she also really got excited to find this tutu-- "Ooooh, pretty!" And she is starting to get concerned if her bow comes out, and will bring it to me saying "Oh, bow! Help!" and trying to put it in herself.

She is also making more connections between people and things.  Recently, we were looking at a "Things on the Farm" book she hadn't looked at in quite a while. When we flipped to the page with the Combine, she gasped and pointed and said, "That's Daddy's!" She remembered Daddy driving the Combine.

I can't wait to see what this little girl is going to say and do next! :)

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I love this stage too; TJ is 19 months.