Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Faustnacht Day!

Yesterday was Fat Tuesday, but in PA it was Faustnacht Day! This is a Pennsylvania Dutch tradition started forever ago to use all of the sugar and other ingredients before the start of lent. Faustnachts are doughnuts and they are yummy! All the stores sell them around here like stores in the South sell King Cake for Mardi Gras. This year, my mother in law and my two sisters in law and I all got together (with the kids) and made all kinds of yummy doughnuts. We spent all day doing it! I got tons of great pics, which I am hoping I can share now. I still have no internet at my house so I am using dial up but I am going to give it a try. Here are pictures of our first batch: mom mixing up the chocolate doughnut holes, and the finished chocolate doughnut holes:





We also made potato doughnuts (using some mashed potatoes in the batter)and long johns filled with pudding. Isaac and Autumn LOVED these as you can tell! And Tabitha is still too little for doughnuts, but she was happy too (doesn't she look like she's waving?)











Isaac loved the doughnuts so much he actually fell asleep holding one and with a bite still in his mouth. Precious!



And since the grease was already hot, we decided why not get adventurous? So we made fried cheese (you know we have all that great farm cheese) and fried pickles (you can take the girl out of Mississippi...)







Anyway, we had such a good time. I know, I know, no pictures of the house yet... but I promise I will post them soon. I got two nice rugs today so after we get those put down I will take some "in progress" pics. Tonight the internet was kinda fast so we will hope it stays that way until I can get DSL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy!! I'm so glad you are able to take some of your southern-fried dishes to PA!

~Kathryn