Monday, October 18, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Hello friends! I hope you had a great weekend! Our weekend was a little bit of everything-- the good, the bad, and the ugly. Which shall we address first? Let's go with the good, shall we?

The Good:
This past Saturday was homecoming at our undergrad Alma mater (and my current employer) Messiah College. In case any of you are in doubt about how old I truly am, it was, in fact, my TEN YEAR REUNION at Messiah. Because of that little tidbit of information, many of my close friends decided they would be attending homecoming as well. I feel very, very fortunate that I am still close with many of my college friends--in fact, I can't imagine life without them! Even though many of us live quite a distance apart, we have still made the effort to get together as often as we can, and have kept in good contact. So on Saturday we met at Messiah for homecoming! Everyone arrived at different times, but here the majority of us at Messiah:


Collette had lots of fun hanging out with Aunt Nora, Uncle Steve, and the other kids!






For old times sake, we ate lunch in Lottie, the college's cafeteria. It was so fun to take all the kiddos to where we spent so many hours together!


After lunch, we all went our separate ways for the afternoon, and then met at Nora's house for dinner. Here are just the Messiah grads, minus children and other-college spouses:


If I look a little out of it, it's probably because I had a 103.2 fever.

Oh yeah. That.

That would be The Bad. Friday night I got a migraine and had a fever with it, but Saturday morning when I woke up I felt fine and my fever was gone, so off to homecoming we went (it's about a 1.5 hour drive). I felt pretty good there, but when we got to Nora's in the afternoon, I started to feel not-so-great. By the time everyone arrived, I was feeling worse. I ended up under a blanket, wearing a sweater of Nora's, in her office, trying to escape the smell of food. And then someone brought me a thermometer and my temp was 103.2. Yep, time to hit the road! I'm so thankful LL was there and he could drive us all home!

When we got home, we found our dog Byron yelping in pain. LL looked at him and took him in to the hospital for some radiographs and pain meds, and when they came home we all went to bed.

Sunday was The Ugly.

Byron was no better when we woke up, so the good doctor took him in a barium series and surgery for an intestinal torsion. Poor puppy!

While Dr. Reitz and Byron were in surgery, I was at home with Collette, still sick. My fever was a lot lower, but I still felt awful, and to top it off, my eye infection came back. Some of you may know that I contracted a shingles virus in my eyes several years ago, and now whenever my immune system is compromised, it flares up. It's painful and annoying, but most importantly, it can lead to blindness if it isn't treated right away. So, I called my on call doctor, got a script called in to CVS, and made it there before they closed for the night. Whew!

LL and Byron came home later and our big boy is on the mend.


And a little drugged. ;o)

We are just staying at home today, and I'm hoping my eyes and our dog will be back to normal soon!

No comments: